Illness and travel

Those who follow this blog may recognize a trend in my travel writing. Wherever I travel for an extended period of time, I seem to pick an illness or infirmity. Berlin was no different.

But first, I haven't written about my Israel/West Bank trip since my January 4th "Leaving Israel: A Tale of 7 Checkpoints", and people have e-mailed me asking what was the outcome of becoming very ill in Israel/The West Bank, and if I ever recovered. Well, it was a long and painful 2-month recovery filled with numerous trips to hospitals here in Scotland, and routines of heavy antibiotics and anti-parasite drugs, coupled with numerous tests to determine what exactly I contracted while in the Middle East.

In my 9 days in Israel, I somehow became infected with the bacterial infections Campillobacter and giardia, and the parasite Entamoeba histolytica. These three things kept me from digesting meat and dairy for about 2 months, and made things very difficult for me from January-February, 2009. But I feel like I've recovered from that and I'm eating normally, except I feel like I may now be a bit lactose intolerant. I started training again for triathlons in late February, and I competed in a triathlon in April, which was a lot of fun.

So I guess the lesson is to be cautious when eating street food and drinking the water while traveling, even when you're in a developed country, because I was in Israel when I got sick.

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Daveed Diggs from the Broadway show Hamilton

What is Hyphy? (1st draft of introduction to Oakland in Popular Memory)

From ‘Hipster Ariel’ to Sparkle Pony, Meet Molly Gallagher from Burning Man: The Musical