Meta-documentaries on Emirates airlines

It’s an interesting world we live in when on an Emirates flight, I get to watch 2 meta-documentaries deconstructing modern consumerist society while flying to the city that epitomizes commercialism: Dubai. On the 15 hour flight from San Francisco to Dubai on Emirates, I watched Exit Through the Giftshop and The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, the Morgan Spurlock film. Both are worth seeing.

Recently, there’s been a rise in meta-documentaries. The already postmodern film Tropic Thunder had a making-of film titled Rain of Madness. This is a parody of the documentary Hearts of Darkness, which was a documentary by Francis Ford Coppola about the making of Apocalypse Now.

However, I should point out that these film choices are not quite as random of an entertainment selection as having Brian O'Nolan’s modernist At Swim-Two-Birds as an audio book on Delta when I flew from SFO to New York in August.

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Daveed Diggs from the Broadway show Hamilton

What is Hyphy? (1st draft of introduction to Oakland in Popular Memory)

Throwback: My Off-Broadway debut!