Visiting Delhi

In Delhi, I visited the following places: Qutub Minar built by Qutub-ud-Din Aibek in 1199.

My favorite spot to visit in Delhi was Gandhi Smriti, where Gandhi lived his last 144 days.




I stopped by the key government houses, giant sandstone palaces by the British Raj. The President's House, Parliament House, Government Secretariat Buildings were huge and occupied a space that looked larger than the U.S. capitol Mall.


Going down the road from the government offices laid out in a symmetrical French-style city plan was India Gate (War Memorial Arch). There, I saw Red Bull and Formula One had race cars racing in central Delhi, burning rubber in an exhibition race. Here's a video.




I also visited Raj Ghat and Shanti Vana, the cremation sites of Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru, Jama Masjid, and drove past Red Fort. With only 1 day in Delhi and having flown in that morning, I didn't have time to check out the fort. But I would later visit Amber Fort in Jaipur and Agra Fort in Agra.


I avoided Connaught Place shopping center because of my limited time in Delhi, and I'm not that into shopping. As a guidebook, I used The Rough Guide to India (8th edition published in 2011). This guidebook provides a lot of good tips and travel advice.


Delhi was the first stop in my Golden Triangle Tour with Vogue Travels. I'd recommend Vogue Travels for planning a trip to Northern India--more on them in a later post.

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Daveed Diggs from the Broadway show Hamilton

What is Hyphy? (1st draft of introduction to Oakland in Popular Memory)

From ‘Hipster Ariel’ to Sparkle Pony, Meet Molly Gallagher from Burning Man: The Musical