Memoirs of the Self-Published: Part III - Print-on-demand, or print the book yourself?

I decided to not go with a print-on-demand publishing service because I would make little to no profit selling my book on Amazon. I'm selling my book of experimental short stories, Papers for the Suppression of Reality for $14. Amazon.com takes 55% of the cover price, so for each book sold online, I get $7.70.

This sounds okay, except that lulu.com charges $4.30 to print a 120-page perfect-bound black and white 5.5" x 8.5" softcover book. With tax, shipping from Lulu to me, and me shipping the book to the Amazon Advantage warehouse, the total cost comes out around $7. I would make very little profit selling on Amazon.

I think Amazon is a great service, in that it provides authors to get their work out there, but this model obviously wouldn't work for me. I didn't want to just print a few copies for family and friends, but do a first run of 1,000 copies.

Also, I decided against lulu.com because I wanted full control over the book: the writing, editing, copy editing, layout, design, printing, biding, etc. I wanted the experimental writing in the book to be reflected by its physical appearance. That's why I included a massive 11" x 17" crossword puzzle in the book and also a reproduction of a large-scale map of Buenos Aires in special editions of the book:


When I interned at McSweeney's Publishing, I worked on some innovative publications like McSweeney's Issue 17 and the San Francisco Panorama. Working on these projects, I saw that the physical appearance of the publication can be almost as important as the writing. If you're going to print your book on newsprint-like paper that will yellow in 20 or 30 years (as many cost-cutting, Manhattan-based publishers are doing) then what's the point of printing a book, if the ebook will look sharper, cleaner, and provide a better reading experience?

I wanted my book to hold artistic value and give a reason for people to buy the physical book over the ebook.

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Daveed Diggs from the Broadway show Hamilton

What is Hyphy? (1st draft of introduction to Oakland in Popular Memory)

Throwback: My Off-Broadway debut!