Memoirs of the Self-Published: Part IV - Paper sourcing

There are 3 key components to self-publishing your own book:
  1. Paper
  2. Printing
  3. Binding
This post is about picking the right paper. I will address ebooks in a later post.

To print 1,000 copies of my book, I knew I needed approx. 32,500 sheets of paper. I priced paper at several local retailers and found that xpedx, one of the nation's largest paper warehouses, had the best prices. Their prices were even lower than quotes I received from the paper manufacturers. And because I was buying in bulk and explained my book project to them, I was able to negotiate a discounted price.

I chose to print my book on 100% cotton archival-quality paper by Strathmore. This is some of the finest (and most expensive) paper you can buy. The reason I chose to go with the fancy paper is that I spent years writing the stories in my book, and I'd be hand-binding it, and for not too much more money, I could get the best stuff, instead of just regular paper.


Why Use 100% Cotton Paper?

I used to work at the Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley's special collections library, and for manuscripts that we needed to make sure would last a long time, we printed them on 100% cotton paper. It's rated to last 500 years or more. I felt the paper gives my book the best presentation and makes it look rich and high-quality. Because of my belief that the presentation of the book is almost as important as the writing, I decided to splurge in this one area, because it's critical. For most other people, I'd recommend printing on regular acid-free paper. It'll save you some money.

The Finances of Self-Publishing

I calculated that my total cost for the book (paper, printing, binding, plus my travel and misc. book-related expenses) would be around $2.50 per book, as opposed to around $7 going with a print-on-demand service like Lulu. In other words, it cost me approx. $2,500 to make 1,000 copies of my book with some of the finest paper available plus crossword puzzle and map vs. what would've been approx. $7,000 for 1,000 copies of just the book, and not have full control over paper, printing, and binding.

Doing it all yourself can have considerable cost-advantages. However, you need to put in a lot more time and research. To pull off the publishing project, it took my knowledge from 5+ years working in publishing at McSweeney's and Pearson Higher Education, plus me asking many questions to the many colorful characters I knew who are experts in editing, cartography, crossword-puzzle-making, design, paper-sourcing, printing, and binding to pull off the production of this book.

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Daveed Diggs from the Broadway show Hamilton

What is Hyphy? (1st draft of introduction to Oakland in Popular Memory)

Throwback: My Off-Broadway debut!